Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thanksgiving Extravaganza




I got to spend Thanksgiving this year with Dan's family, which is always a treat. Because I don't come from a big family, I enjoy the chance to feel like a part of Dan's extended family, which is quite large. Thanksgiving this year was at Grandpa Karl's house in Salt Lake City and almost everyone was there. I was most excited about being able to see the Martins, Dan's sister and her family, since they moved to Texas earlier in the year and I felt like I hadn't seen them in forever! Connie and Roy, Dan's parents were also coming, so it was going to be quite the event!

I was so excited to see Kate, and she was pretty excited to see me too!


Traditionally, Dan said that his Grandpa has a pie making contest, and since I got a new gourmet cookbook for my birthday in October, Dan and I were determined to enter and win. We practiced making pies from the 16th of October (my birthday) until the week of Thanksgiving until we figured we had a winner. We ended up making a Passion Fruit Merengue pie, which was so tasty! Dan was particularly proud of the perfect merengue top, which we browned ourselves in the oven. We won 2nd place, and our prize was utensils for making more pies, which we will!


Our pie is the one in the front. It was delicious!

1 comment:

Stacie S-H said...

Yum that kind of pie sounds so good and looks REALLY good from the pic! Glad you got to spend Thanksgiving with Dan's family. Looks like it was fun!